11/20/14

The Fish Beasts

     Normally, you wouldn't think that fish are scary, and I'm talking about regular fish. Fish that you see in Finding Nemo or see in a cartoon. Not raw fish, or disgusting looking fish that rich people eat. I'm talking about fish. I have nothing against them... fish are okay, as long as they're not in my dreams, fish that keep hopping and don't die.

     Now look: I'm not crazy, but those fish were. They were relentless beasts, horrid monsters who didn't know when to stop. To make sense of this, I'm just gonna begin from the beginning, which should make things even more confusing.
     You see, I woke up from my bed like any day other, yawning while looking out the window. Because I was in a dream (and my brain didn't try to apply my memories directly to make sense of things), I was completely okay with my apartment building being on a high-rise of an Arabian city. I walk into my living room, not minding the fact that my uncle (who lives in another country) was giving a tour guide to a bunch of small, chubby, Subcontinental-Asian children. That's when I noticed that there was a small, thin sand-tornado heading towards my home,
The room was shaking subtly, and sand was pouring out of a (non-existing) vent on the roof . The windows were turning beige and cloudy, and you could hear what sounded like rain pounding down on the roof of a car.
     My uncle looked out the window, motionless. He said that this could only be one thing: A "swish" storm.
     Instead of calling the authorities, we decided to (without any type of communication), head to the roof. Dreams are usually seen from first person, but for that moment, it looked like the camera view from a helicopter filming a small, limestone roof (which it looks nothing like in real life). We all appeared on the roof, without any apparent way of getting there, to see what was now a violent sand storm. Somehow, we entered my house again, and not questioning the myriad of people in my living room, I went to my bedroom to sleep some more.
     Don't ask me how, but for some reason, I woke up my family and told them about what happened like it was absolutely nothing. They just shrugged and walked away, and I was about to do so too, until I noticed that the bed sheet under a pillow on the bed, was completely wet.

I inched forward, fearing that something nasty was lurking under the pillow. It was. What a surprise.
     It was fish. Alive, floppy fish.
     It consisted of clown fish, sea slugs, crabs, tarantulas (yes, it's not a fish, but it was there), lemon fish, and a fish that looked like Dory from finding Nemo. I was about to shrug and walk away, but the fish (not spider or sea slugs) did the most insane thing: They all leaped about 6 feet.
     They didn't just jump, they jumped towards me when I wan't looking, so I ran.
     I ran to the living room, and sighed with relief, until I went to scratch my head. Guess what was waiting for me there. That's right! A fish.
     I slapped the fish off my head, and rubbed by now wet hand against my shirt. It was disgusting and the fish was all scaly and wet and slimy.
     I was terrified.
     I tried to tell my family to save themselves, but they literally didn't care.

    There was a fish wriggling in my mom's hair, and instead of losing her mind, she continued working.
     I lost my mind. I kept watch of the fish, and periodically checked my hair for any surprises.

     Soon, I found that there was a goldfish on my head, so I grabbed its tail and flung it into a metal pot.
     It stopped jumping. I thought I killed it.
    It was disgusting, scary and bizarre, and although I felt guilty, I felt like I conquered the fish beasts.
     It was then that I realized that I didn't own a metal pot. Therefore, I woke up.
I woke up pondering why I realized I was dreaming by remembering that I didn't have a metal pot, instead of the fact that there were strange children in my house, or that my house was on top of a large Arabian skyscraper. So I shrugged, and got out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment